Unilever Associate Product Development Engineer in Burlington, Vermont
Associate Product Development Engineer (R&D)
The Associate Product Development Engineer provides technical support and leadership for the development of fiber based personal and home care products that consistently meet or exceed consumer’s expectations in terms of performance and authenticity while supporting business sustainability.
The position requires a combination of excellent collaboration and problem-solving skills, a basic understanding of key drivers in the product categories of interest, as well as a passion to create differentiated product propositions that add value in the lives of the consumers while protecting the environment in which they can continue to responsibly thrive for generations to come.
This position requires a commitment to embrace the company’s culture through the alignment of personal behaviors with the company’s core values in the on-going pursuit of the company’s mission.
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
- Collaborate with the brand management team and the consumer science team to develop the most appropriate product specifications and claims and ensure that they are supported adequately
- Collaborate with our existing partners’ R&D team and their external contributors as needed to evaluate the feasibility of potential value adding product upgrade concepts
- Develop product specifications for new products and any product upgrades and transfer the documents to the QA team for day-to-day management
- Research the value adding potential of existing and/or emerging material technologies with respect to the Seventh Generation product offering.
- Provide support for the product innovation process as required
- Collaborate with the project management team to ensure realistic development timelines and on time product delivery to market
- Contribute to the process of evaluating the capacity and technical capabilities of potential manufacturing partners.
- Stay abreast of technical developments in the product category by reviewing technical publications, articles, and abstracts as well as attending seminars and conferences.
- Collaborate with our corporate consciousness team to assess social responsibility aspect of the supply chain
- Collaborate with the sourcing team to identify and implement cost saving improvement opportunities.
- Provide technical education and recommendation to our cross functional team product implementation teams.
ADDITIONAL JOB DUTIES
- Provide technical assistance to the Consumer Relations team as needed
- Continuously develop contacts and relationships within the fibers based consumer product industry
- Contribute to sales team efforts to present the product category to potential customers.
- Provide product related education to the organization as required (new hires, sales steam)
- Participate in company’s initiative to understand and better manage its business foot print.
- Research and track market trends to remain abreast of industry developments
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILL REQUIREMENTS
- Bachelor’s Degree, B.S. desirable or equivalent combination of education and experience
- 0-3 years of progressive experience in research, design, manufacturing, and/or technical product management.
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent communication skills with proven ability to manage professionals internally and at vendor locations
- Excellent analytical skills
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Computer proficient with Microsoft Office suite
- Ability and willingness to travel approximately 25% of the time
- Knowledge of personal hygiene products, tissue paper products, and cleaning products is desirable
- Strong alignment with Seventh Generation’s Vision, Mission, Values and Operating Principles
- Office environment
- No specific physical requirements
What We Can Offer You
Culture for Growth|Top Notch Employee Health & Well Being Benefits|Every Voice Matters|Global Reach|Life at Unilever|Careers with Purpose|World Class Career Development Programs|Check Out Our Space|Focus On Sustainability
Unilever is an organization committed to diversity and inclusion to drive our business results and create a better future every day for our diverse employees, global consumers, partners, and communities. We believe a diverse workforce allows us to match our growth ambitions and drive inclusion across the business.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Persons with Disabilities.
Applicants and employees are protected from discrimination under Federal law. For more information, please seeEEO is the Law.
Primary Location: United States-Vermont-Burlington-Seventh Generation HQ
Shift: Day Job
Unposting Date: Jun-16-2018
Req ID: 180007VY